In case you missed it, MTV has posted the most recent episode of “America’s Best Dance Crew,” which aired last night. The magic-themed episode featured stage illusionist, designer and mastermind Franz Harary.
Each crew had to incorporate a magic effect into their performance that night. Whether you’re into poppin’ and lockin’ or not, this episode is chock full of advice and tips you can use for your performance. Consider these observations:
- Beat Freaks, the first group, was easily the best performance of the night, because their entire routine was structured around the levitating ball. Unlike the other groups, who danced for a bit then did their magic, the ball never left the stage. The judges gave great reactions.
- With all due respect to certain magicians who have great disdain for “mouth garbage,” Quest Crew showed the value of a good story or narration. It’s one thing to impale someone as an effect, but quite another to show a creative reason for the effect.
- Even though they didn’t get eliminated, the Fly Khicks had the worst magical performance of the night. Note that the judges said portions of the group’s routine outshined the magic.
- What a difference a twist can make. Instead of a person just appearing from thin air, Dynamic Edition’s take on the trick was a good spin and related to the group’s performance.
- Though the walking through a person effect was cool, the Strikers All-Stars didn’t incorporate it into a cohesive routine. Also, one of them whipped out a flaming wallet. Why?
At Ellusionist, we’ve always wanted you to succeed as a magician and meet your performance goals, whether you’re a hobbyist or an aspiring professional. We’ve released a lot of cool stuff over the last few months, but what really makes these effects pop is YOUR presentation. The biggest lesson that came from last night’s show is that performing a simple effect is not enough. You must take into consideration everything that goes around it, and how you use it. That applies whether you’re on a reality TV show or performing for friends at school.
What did you think about the episode? Discuss it in the Ellusionist Forums.